PETERBOROUGH FOOD CHARTER
Our Local Food System: Healthy, Sustainable and Just Food For All
- Individuals, Organizations, Municipalities: Sign here!
- Sample Endorsement Form for First Nations and Municipalities
- Sample Endorsement Form for Local Organizations
- List of food charter supporters
- Examples of what you can do to put the food charter into action today!
Peterborough Food Charter (Click to read the Food Charter)
In 2015, the Peterborough Public Health Board of Health reviewed a local food charter from the Grey-Bruce region and expressed interest in the development of a food charter for Peterborough. A Food Charter is a value, vision, or principle statement and/or a series of goals developed by a city, town or region that has abroad base of support and describes what a community wants their food system to look like.
There are many reasons for developing and supporting a food charter. Food charters “help to point community food policy in a positive direction and bring people from diverse sectors together to share concerns, experiences and knowledge relating to food and agriculture in order to establish a shared vision of food security”. (1)
Food charters are typically aspirational in wording and often include:
- advocating for nutritious and affordable food for all community members,
- recognizing the fundamental need for food security,
- acknowledging that food and food production is a vital component of a community’s economic development framework, and,
- symbolizes a unified and cohesive celebration of food, cultures and community. (2)
Community members have come together to develop their vision for a Peterborough Food Charter. It also includes a vision for a Local Food System that will provide healthy, sustainable and just food for all.
Watch for more information on how you can support the the Peterborough Food Charter.
Peterborough Public Health Board of Health (May 10, 2017)
Sustainable Peterborough Coordinating Committee (June 1, 2017)
Peterborough Food Action Network (June 15, 2017)
YWCA Peterborough-Haliburton (October 23, 2017)
Healthy Kids Community Challenge Peterborough (November 13, 2017)
United Way Peterborough & District (June 2018)
Nourish Project (June 2018)
EcoParent Magazine (June 2018)
Peterborough Regional Farmers’ Network (July 2018)
Peterborough Regional Farmers Market (July 2018)